Vancouver Gold Broom - Knowledgebase Question

Springville, CA
Question by mimi123
In the Monrovia catalog you have placed the Vancouver Gold Broom in the deciduous shrub catagory however in the description you describe it as an evergreen. Which is it? I am looking for a plant for a fairly steep bank and the look of undulating mounds sound intriguing but I want green all year long and it should work well for zone 9. Vancouver Gold Broom sounds like a plant that evokes conversation. Certainly not your standard fare. Are the leaves green when not in bloom?

Great web site. I love how you can focus in on specific plants for your area. Your site has helped me a lot on planning our yard. I also had a chance to see your demonstration grounds in Woodlake. When I have time, I would love a tour.

Cheers,

Mimi Stoneburner

0

There's often confusion in classifying brooms. Some fall into the genus Cytisus and others are of the genus Genista. Of these, some are evergreen, some semi-evergreen and some are deciduous. 'Vancouver Gold' is Genista pilosa, a deciduous shrub growing 1 to 1 1/2' tall with a spread of 3-7'. It's perfect for a sunny slope. It has intricately branched gray-green twigs so it's interesting even during the short period of time when it has no leaves. Expect roundish, 1/2" long green leaves to appear in the early spring, followed by yellow-gold blooms.