Pruning A Pecos Crape Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Vienna, WV
Question by DianeYFox
I have a Monrovia Pecos Crape Myrtle. I just planted it this spring. Exactly HOW and WHEN do I prune it?

0

Crepe myrtles are pruned in very late spring to remove any winter damaged stems. They are also sometimes pruned to develop a tree shape and sometimes left to their own natural shape. This would also be done in the spring. Some gardeners will trim their crepe myrtles back very hard every spring to encourage vigorous new growth, others will not do this. It is a matter of personal preference and whether or not you need to control the size. The plant blooms on new wood grown that summer, so do not prune it during the late spring or summer or you will be removing blooming wood. Enjoy your crepe myrtle.