How To Stop Woodchucks And Deer From Eating Flowers - Already Use Animal Urine. - Knowledgebase Question

Williamsville (amherst), NY
Question by pudyson
How do you prevent or deter animals such as deer and woodchucks from eating flowers in the garden. I've tried animal urine and ammonia (down the hole of the woodchuck).
Do these have to be reapplied after a period of rain?
I know certain plants are thought to be deer resistent, but many of these are still consumed by the beasts. Any suggestions?

0

I understand your frustration, I live in the country and the same thing has happened to me. The deer resistant plants are not usually deer proof, and since they are adaptable animals they learn to eat new plants over time.

Unfortunately, in my case where a herd of them habitually browsed in my garden, the most reliable long term solution is a fence. Other gardeners have had success using repellents for both deer and other animals, usually the commercial ones but sometimes homemade recipes involving eggs and garlic and red pepper. Yes, they do need to be applied -- and reapplied -- per the label instructions. The length of time varies with the different products. I would also caution you strongly about the woodchuck(s), if close to an area where people walk or children play because they are wild animals, and they are unpredictable and can be suddenly vicious and attack for no apparent reason. You might want to get a professional to help with removal, even if you use a live trap, moving the trap and letting it out is tricky.