Weeping Nootka Cypress Alternatives - Knowledgebase Question

Shamong, NJ
Question by tborkowski
I have four Weeping Nootka's in the back of an island berm spaced between three burning bush shrubs. Three Nootkas have died and I was wondering what would be a good alternative tree that has similar characteristics.

0

Bermed areas tend to be somewhat drier than surrounding areas due to the rise and slope increading the drainage, so I would suggest you look at some of the junipers as they are more tolerant of a dry or well drained soil. They also tend to thrive where burning bushes are happy. Another possibility would be mugo pines. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension personnel may have additional suggestions based on more information about the site and soil conditions. I'm sorry you lost the others, this has been a difficult dry summer and very hard on many new plants.