Trumpet Creeper - Knowledgebase Question

Mequon, WI
Question by armund
I purchased and planted several of your Trumpet Creepers this past spring (Campsis x tagliahuana) "Madame Galen".
It was a phenomonal addition and did well, growing past 12 feet up through trellises of only 5 feet high. What should I do with it before and/or after the first frost to get it ready for winter and perform well again next spring. I thought I would prune it all off at trellis height (5 feet) and let the vines stay in the trellis. Is this okay?

0

This vine blooms on new growth of the season so you can prune it back as much (or as little) as you like during the winter or early spring to control size. With such a small trellis, you may want to trim it back very hard -- it becomes more rampant each year for the first few seasons then settles into a steady fast growth pattern. Pruning in the summer however will remove flowering wood. As far as winter preparation, after frost apply a heavy mulch such as shredded bark over the root zone but do not allow it to touch the stems. Enjoy your trumpet vines!