Bushy Split-leaf Philodendron - Knowledgebase Question

Brucefield, ON
Question by sctaylor5
How can I make my split-leaf or cut-leaf philodendron a little bushier? It is a beautiful plant but quite wide and a little leggy. I would it to produce more leaves in the middle making it taller and bushier. Is there a way to prune it to achieve this?
Thanks

0

There are two names for this common one, Monstera deliciosa and the other Philodendron selloum. However, these are large wide spreading plants in nature and can seem a bit ungainly as a houseplant. The best way to make them grow denser in the center and less lankily is to increase the amount of light they receive. Do this gradually so as not to shock or burn the plant. Also, make sure you are not overfertilizing as an oversupply of nitrogen can cause them to become leggy and overly lush as well. The less light they receive, the less feeding they will require and possibly none at all during the winter months unless they are in a very bright location. Good luck with your plant!