Winterizing For A Trumpet Creeper - Knowledgebase Question

West Allis, WI
Question by johnson26
I purchased a "Trumpet Creeper" this last July. It's beautiful and bloomed within just a few weeks after planting. I love it! How do I ensure that it will not freeze out over the winter? Should it be covered like a rose bush or just trimmed down?

0

Trumpet creeper or Campsis radicans does not need to be specially protected or trimmed for the winter. You might apply a generous layer of mulch over the root area once the ground has frozen. In late winter or early spring, trim away any winterkilled stems and/or cut it back as needed for size control. This plant blooms on the new growth of the season, so trimming it in late winter will encourage vigorous new growth and blooms. Do not however prune during summer as this will remove the flowering wood for the season. Enjoy your trumpet vine!