Flowering Pear Tree Question - Knowledgebase Question

Los Gatos, CA
Question by rfanelli
November 9, 2002
I purchased a flowering pear tree from my local tree nursery about 4 months ago. I planted the tree immediately and have been monitoring it. After further examination of the tree I noticed small round holes in most of the leaves. I also noticed some of the leaves are curled at the outer edges. I began noticing these conditions at the time I purchased the tree and planted it. I know that this could be from a number of contributing factors. However, does this tree have a chance to grow and prosper, or did I purchase and plant a tree that had a preexisting disease. If the tree was a problem tree at time I planted it, is it doomed ? Please let me know. Thank You.

November 9, 2002

0

Ornamental pear trees aren't generally insect or disease prone so I don't think you planted a sickly tree. Since you don't see any insect activity now, I suspect the leaves became hosts to passing insects while the tree was still at the nursery. Be sure to rake and remove fallen leaves at the end of the season to stop any insect eggs from overwintering in the debris. Ornamental pears appreciate full sunshine and thrive in average to poor soils. Yours should be well established by next spring and should produce healthy new foliage. Best wishes with your tree!