Name Of Tree - Knowledgebase Question

sylmar, CA
Question by scalzo
November 26, 2002
I have seen trees in the LA area that have large pink flowers in the fall, and produce seed pods that are 4 to 6 inches long 2 inchs in diameter. The trees grow 30 = feet.
I have not found anyone that can identify this tree.
Can you help with the information given?

November 26, 2002

0

Without a detailed description of the foliage, bark and branch pattern, I can only guess the identity of the tree. Here are two possible candidates:

Mimosa or hardy silktree (Albizia julibrissin). This tree has multiple trunks or spreading branches with a flat to rounded top. Fairly fast growing. Often reaches 30 feet. Foliage is very fine, graceful; the tree open and airy. Flowers are clusters of dainty pink puffs that appear in late summer. Seed pods are long and woody.

Japanese Pagodatree (Sophora japonica)
Flowers in mid- to late-summer; produces long, tubular bean-like fruits with swollen sections for each seed.

If neither is correct, try taking a leaf sample to a local nursery. Perhaps they can identify the tree for you. Best wishes in your search!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"