Topiary - Knowledgebase Question

Nashville, TN
Question by jxcurvin
December 31, 2002
I would like to transform my wire [christmas] deer in a topiary. Besides english ivy, what other type of plant would you recomend. I am on zone 6. Please consider partial shade environment.

December 31, 2002

0

English ivy or Hedera helix would have been my first suggestion, keep in mind there are some newer varieties being introduced with different shapes and coloration in the foliage that might make for an interesting effect. Alternatively you might be able to train a shrub up through it and then clip that, possibly yew, privet or the smaller leafed evergreen Japanese holly. Another quicker growing plant to try might be one variety or another of Euonymous fortunei. This plant will grow as a shrub and/or will climb as a vine, it is an interesting plant to experiment with. All of these would do well enough in a partially shaded area. Good luck with your topiary!