Hedge And Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Lafayette, CA
Question by michaelcoale
I am looking for the most beautiful buxus that the deer will not eat. I have seen your Green Beauty, but I do not know whether it is the best one. I live in a woodlands environment but need a fairly low hedge that I am willing to cut. I would also appreciate any suggestions of good native perennials that are deer-resistant and drought-tolerant. Thanks.

0

First, the disclaimer - a hungry deer will eat most anything! With that said, Buxus is generally not bothered by deer, but a hungry deer may well munch on it. Buxus 'Green Velvet' is my favorite. It grows thick and dense, with a rich green color. It has a rounded shape if unsheared and grows 3'-4' tall and wide, making it perfect for a low hedge.

Native perennials for you to consider include Yarrow, Aquilegia formosa (western columbine), Asarum (wild ginger), Heuchera (coral bells), Lilium humboldtii (Humbolt lily), Mimulus (monkey flower), Romney coulteri (Matillija poppy), and Zauschneria (California fuchsia).