How Suitable Is Chitalpa Tashkentensis For Clay Soil? - Knowledgebase Question

La Verne, CA
Question by kimlgreen
I live in North La Verne at about 3000 feet above sea level. I'm interested in the tree named: Chitalpa tashkentensis. I've not seen one full grown, but have read about them in various places. I love the catalpa tree from which it derives. Anyway, I'm wondering if this tree would thrive in my yard where it would be subject to poorly drained clay soil, winds, and heat. Any advice?

Thanks,
Kim Green

0

Chitalpa is the offspring of Catalpa bignonioides and Chilopsis linearis. Chitalpa gets its strong constitution from the desert adapted Chilopsis, and its large flower clusters from Catalpa. These trees are hardy under the most unfavorable conditions and should grow well in clay soils, in heat and wind. Be sure the soil drains well, and water regularly during its first year in the garden as it is establishing a root system. Enjoy!