|I have a yellow mold or fungus growing on the mulch in my yard. It then began to appear on the grass in spots and on some of the flowers and shrubs. It is yellow on top and black underneath and oozes red in places so that it looks almost as if it's bleeding. What is it and how do I get rid of it?
|Answer from NGA
June 29, 2003
|Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, water early in the morning to allow the grass to dry before nightfall, and try raking any thatch on the soil surface to help expose it to air and sunlight. Slime molds are perfectly harmless -- just not too pleasant to look at!
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage