Winter Gem Boxwood - Can I Leave Potted Outside All Winter? - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Elmo, MN
Question by donnathomas
I bought two Winter Gem Boxwoods from Lindners and they were potted. The Linder's representative told me they were sold as tropical, however, the description on the tag indicates that they would survive in temperatures of -20 to -10 F. Can I leave these outside all winter in the pots?

0

Shrubs and trees growing in containers are more susceptible to cold damage during winter months and heat damage during summer months because the roots are above ground level. The tops of your boxwoods are hardy to -10F, but the roots are not. If you plan to keep your plants outdoors, insulate the containers from extreme temperatures before winter sets in. I place my each of my containers in a larger container that's been lined with styrofoam or rockwool insulation. They're nice and snug over the winter and have never suffered cold damage. Good luck with your boxwoods!