Peculiar Crooked Perennial - Knowledgebase Question

North Hollywood, CA
Question by dogsinorbit
April 26, 2004
I am looking for a shrub/perennial that I have seen used in flower arrangements and is used by interior decorators. It is a plant that produces 3'-5' tall interestingly crooked sticks. Usually the sticks are used for decoration without foliage. Haven't seen them in nuseries.


Answer from NGA
April 26, 2004


Florists commonly use branches from curly willow (Salix) and contorted filbert (Corylus) in flower arrangements. Both are trees or large shrubs and both grow well in your region. Curley willow branches are yellowish; branches of contorted filbert have gray-brown bark.

Hope this information helps you find the shrub you're looking for!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Penstemon Dark Towers blooms"