Low Hedge To Border Flower Beds - Knowledgebase Question

Snohomish, WA
Question by carolynmla
Hi
I am loving your website. Very what I call bread and butter informative. Gives me what I need.
Anyway, I have about a 10X20 foot curved flower bed next to my driveway as you approach the house. I want to edge it with a low hedge. I love the curvy layered approach. Would dwarf boxwoods be my best choice? I would love some other suggestions. I don't want it to be more that 3 feet high. The garden encompasses an Elizabeth Magnolia, which I plan to layer with some other perennials or shrubs, a Dogwood a little further down and ending with a Japanese Stewartia.
Thanks

0

First of all, glad you like the website! Second, you garden sounds lovely. I especially like the Elizabeth Magnolia; it's such a graceful tree. If the flower bed is in full sunshine, dwarf boxwoods would grow nicely there. If you think you want some seasonal bloom, you might consider Cytisus x 'Lena', the Lena Scotch Broom. This variety has a low-mounding growth habit (about 3' tall and wide). It's covered with lemon-yellow blooms in late spring. A third suggestion is Hebe pinguifolia. This plant grows to 3' tall and wide, oval blue-gray leaves and white flowers.

Hope one of these suggestions appeals to you!