London Plane Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Moraga, CA
Question by lhays1
I have 200' of driveway and was thinking about lining the driveway with London Plane Trees to create a canopy over the driveway. However, I heard these trees are particularly messy. Any alternative suggestions. I have 5 acres of property that includes Coast Live Oaks and Valley Oaks.

0

London Plane trees are fast-growing trees with spreading canopies and are often used as street trees. They do produce ball-shaped seed clusters which drop in winter and, of course, the leaves and some twigs drop in autumn. Aside from these annual events, I think London Plane trees are excellent choices. They stand up beautifully to smog, soot, dust, and reflected heat, which makes them good candidates for lining driveways.

Other suggestions include Liquidambar (sweet gum), sycamore, and Caltalpa (vanilla bean tree). All are wonderfull shade trees and look terrific when lining a street or driveway.

Best wishes with your landscape!