Shrub for Sun - Knowledgebase Question

Poquoson, VA
Question by gkubilins
I live in Zone 7 and am looking for a shrub, not a rose, that can take direct sun and heat that blooms all summer. I thought of hydrangea, but we were told by people at Anderson's Garden Show Place that they would not do well. I am not looking for a white flower, hopefully something that is bright and colorful like hydrangea.

0

Gregory,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

There are very few shrubs that fit all the specifications you mentioned. I think a good choice might be Rose-of-Sharon also called Shrub Althea (Hibiscus syriacus). It gets fairly large but would be a pretty shrub in summer.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"