How do I grow Strawberry's in a pot? - Knowledgebase Question

Olivette, MO (Zone 5B)
Question by mcgeeparnell
Last year I tried to grow strawberrys on the ground, only two bloomed but never ripened. So is it best to grow them in a pot?

0

Kattrina,

The ground is acually best. They need a sandy to loam soil with excellent drainage and full sun. The following web page offers a wealth of information on growing strawberries in Missouri.

http://muextension.missouri.ed...

If you still wish to grow them in a pot use one of the terra cotta strawberry jars, fill it with a standard potting mix and place the planted container in a bright, sunny location. It will take regular daily watering and fertilizing about every two weeks with a soluble plant food product to keep the plants vigorous and healthy.