Dainage Problem - Knowledgebase Question

Arlington, VA (Zone 7A)
Avatar for ttravis
Question by ttravis
April 4, 2005
My problem is when it rains;water drains from my neighbors yard into my yard; then enters underneath my house into the crawl space. As a result the inside of my house smells like mildew. What can I do; I check into having yard leveled & dirt hauled away, are there any inexpensive options.

Answer from NGA
April 4, 2005
I would suggest you check with a drainage expert, there may be a way to redirect the runoff from your neighbor's yard so it does not flood your crawl space. This might involve creating swales or installing drains, sometimes it is not that expensive to do. In any case it is probably a good idea to fix it if at all possible to avoid structural problems with your house and foundation beyond the mold or mildew you notice already. A professionally trained landscape architect or other professional with experience in this type of problem should be able to make suggestions based on a site visit. Good luck!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by chhari55 and is called "Golden Sedum (Sedum adolphi)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.