Growing Rasberries - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Mohegan, NY (Zone 6A)
Question by hymanbuchwal
I have been growing rasberries for a few years. This spring I cut them back and saved the cuttings. I put the cuttings in water and they have started to grow buds, but no roots. Will roots develop, what should I do stimulate root growth. I did this last year, no roots grew and when I put the sticks in the ground, they died.

0

In my experience it is easier to propagate raspberries by root division and transplanting in very early spring, or by layering during the growing season. To layer, bend a cane down so it touches the ground and makes a U shape. Bury the bottom of the U under the soil and hold it in place with a stone if necessary. Eventually roots will form underground. When there is a nice root system, separate this rooted tip from the parent and transplant it in early September or early the next spring. I hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"