young grass - Knowledgebase Question

Cumberland, RI (Zone 6A)
Question by pedrosue
I have moved into a new house with grass that has just been laid 2years ago. This early spring I have noticed that although the grass (which has not actually started growing yet) is long but looks brown and burnt (maybe from the snow?) Should I treat it with anything or just continue as is?

0

I think it's too early in the season to much more than mow your lawn and fertilize it. The problem may very well be the result of cold winter weather and the first time you mow, the brown, burned blade tips will be cut off. Put your lawn on a regular watering, mowing, and feeding schedule and your turf should be lush and green in just a matter of weeks. Apply one-inch of water per week, fertilize with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium four times a year (April, June, September and late November or early December), and mow as often as necessary to keep the leaf blades 1 1/2 to 2" long. Enjoy your lush, green turf!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"