I'd like to replace an existing railroad timber retaining wal, what is the best product to use? - Knowledgebase Question

Burlington, MA (Zone 6A)
Avatar for pev41
Question by pev41
April 10, 2005
I have a 3-4 foot high 15 year old railroad tie retaining wall that is rotting away. What is the best product to use to replace it?

Answer from NGA
April 10, 2005
The answer is going to be to some extent a matter of opinion, budget and so on. You could use the same again, or possibly use the preformed concrete units formed specifically for this purpose, or go with natural stone or even poured concrete. You may want to check some of the many books available on building retaining walls to begin evaluating the options. I would strongly suggest you work with a professionally trained landscape architect or landscaper with extensive experience in building retaining walls to design one that will be both long lasting and safe, then proceed depending on your skill and comfort level with either hiring it done or doing it yourself.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "War Horse"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.