Aeration of Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7B)
Question by briandibble
My lawn is very hard and the dirt is very hard black clay. When I water most of the water runs off the lawn into the street. I have thought about renting an Aerator to loosen up the soil as well as using gypsom. Do you havbe any other suggestions.

0

Brian,

Gypsum only helps if the clay is tight due to excessive sodium in the soil. Otherwise gypsum will not help a clay soil. Water the area in small amounts to allow it to soak in a little. Then when it is moderately moist (not wet) rent the aerator and aerate as deeply as is practical. Then apply 1/3 inch of compost or peat moss over the surface of the lawn and water it in well. This should help your lawn a lot.