Aeration of Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7B)
Avatar for briandibble
Question by briandibble
My lawn is very hard and the dirt is very hard black clay. When I water most of the water runs off the lawn into the street. I have thought about renting an Aerator to loosen up the soil as well as using gypsom. Do you havbe any other suggestions.

Brian,

Gypsum only helps if the clay is tight due to excessive sodium in the soil. Otherwise gypsum will not help a clay soil. Water the area in small amounts to allow it to soak in a little. Then when it is moderately moist (not wet) rent the aerator and aerate as deeply as is practical. Then apply 1/3 inch of compost or peat moss over the surface of the lawn and water it in well. This should help your lawn a lot.

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Visual_Botanics and is called "Orange Belted Bumblebee"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.