reapplying peatmoss - Knowledgebase Question

Detroit, MI (Zone 5B)
Question by nscott5815
A week ago I turned over old dirt, raked it, applied peatmoss, raked it then applied grass seeds and raked it again. I immediately began to water it. I did not reapply peatmoss on top of it. Should I and is it too late to cover it after already have putting the seeds down? I'm concerned about it not growing yet.

0

When you sprinkle peat moss over the seeds, it helps maintain consistent moisture and will also deter birds from feeding on the grass seeds. If you're keeping the seedbed moist and birds are not devouring the seeds, there's really no reason to apply peat at this point. For good germination, seeds must make good contact with the soil (so they can easily root) and they must not be allowed to dry out. Most grass seeds will germinate in 7-10 days, depending upon weather.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"