Caring for a plant - Knowledgebase Question

Flint, Mi
Question by shook_ka_sho
I bought a plant at the nursery called a Broom Plant. I have no information on how to care for it. It wintered well but everything now is stiff and brown. Should I prune it back now, let it go, or prune it in the fall? I was also told that this plant is considered an invasive weed and can be a nusiance and difficult to get rid of. Can you give me any information of this plant? Thank you-Sara

0

Scotch Broom is Cytisus scoparius, a yellow-flowering evergreen, producing wandlike green stems that can reach up to 10'. It develops into an upright mass and can be quite aggressive. It's considered a tenacious weed in many areas but there are much less aggressive species which are lower growing and more colorful. 'Burkwoodii' has red blooms touch with yellow; 'Carla' has pink and crimson flowers lined in white; 'Lena' has lemon-yellow and red blooms, and 'Minsted' produces white flushed lilac and deep purple flowers. Your broom will produce new leaves on the existing stems so don't cut them back just yet. After your plant has finished flowering you can trim it back.

Best wishes with your broom!