Magnolia flowers turns brown and rotten - Knowledgebase Question

Belle Mead, NJ (Zone 6B)
Avatar for chaozhang
Question by chaozhang
I planted a saucer magnolia on the northeast side of my house last fall. The tree had lots of buds at the time I planted. This spring those buds turned brown and apparently got rotten. The tree is still growing new leavies. Do you know what has happened?
I live in central New Jersey.

Based on your description I am not certain what has happened but it is possible, especially with a fall-planted tree, that there was some winter damage to the buds. Magnolia soulangiana flower buds are often subject to damage by spring frosts as well -- when the temperatures oscillate the buds may begin to open prematurely and then be killed by a frost. As long as the foliage is growing normally then it should be okay. If you are worried you could check back with the retailer where you purchased the plant and/or with your county extension. Enjoy your magnolia!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by chhari55 and is called "Bougainvillea 'Pink Pixie'"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.