Planting Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, WI
Question by kkjm
I would like to plant Boston Ivy on the side of my garage. The garage is covered in vinyl siding and I was told it would not climb on that. Other than building a huge trellis what can I do? Also, is there another ivy that will grow on vinyl siding?

0

Any ivy will attach itself to vinyl siding by means of suction cup appendages called "peds". If you plant ivy at the base of a structure it will scramble up and eventually attach itself. The latest research indicates that climbing ivies do not harm siding. However, it's possible the ivy could stain the vinyl -- a problem should you ever decide to remove the ivy. I would call the company that installed the siding and see if they have any recommendations. Make sure the warranty won't be invalidated if you grow ivy on the siding.