Garden Planning - Knowledgebase Question

Ashburn Park, IL (Zone 5B)
Question by galehall
How do I make a flower bed on my lawn? I would like to cut out area to create a flower bed.

0

First, remove the sod either by hand or with a rented sod cutter. Add the sod to your compost heap, it is a wonderful source of organic matter and the roots hold your top soil as well. Then loosen the soil down about six inches for annuals, deeper for perennials. Work in ample amounts of organic matter such as compost. Run some basic soil tests and see what other amendments might be needed, such as lime or fertilizer. Add those as indicated by the test result. Level the area and rake it smooth. Allow several weeks for weeds to germinate, then remove them prior to planting. This will also allow the soil some time to settle, you may need to re-level it. You may want to use an edger material or maintain a sharply cut edge to keep a crisp line between the lawn grass and your flower bed. Be sure to mulch between your flowers to help keep weeds from sprouting. Good luck with your flower bed!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"