Weed killer - Knowledgebase Question

East Islip, NY (Zone 6B)
Question by schroeck
We need to permanently remove weeds growing under our deck, but our dog loves to sit under there and eat the treats she had buried there. What type of weed killer can we use that will be 100% safe for our dog?

0

The best pet safe method I have found is to cut the weeds off short, cover the area with newspaper (about ten pages thick, overlap the edges, and dampen it in a bucket if it is a windy day) and top that with a thick layer of organic mulch. This will exclude light and smother most weeds. If one manages to come back up through that, trim it off, cover with a piece of cardboard and top that with mulch again. You may need to periodically rake the mulch to keep new seedlings from germinating or growing large and replenish it as it breaks down. I hope this helps.