Aphid Control - Knowledgebase Question

Fenton, MO
Question by Roushter
December 21, 1997
Basically, the title says it all. But, to detail the problem, when the growing season came to an end the habenero and jalepeno plants came indoors and sit in large pots in front of a large window. This year, the same as the past three years, aphids, which now have no predators, literally cover the plants and eventually kill them. I've tried all kinds of sprays but, they seem to do as much harm to the plants as the aphids do! The plants eventually drop all their leaves and die. Is there anything I cando or use that really works?

December 21, 1997

0

You present a rather unique problem, in that pesticides registered for peppers shouldn't be used indoors, and indoor pesticides aren't registered for edible crops. If they were my plants, I'd hose them down really well before bringing them into the house, and then put them in the bathtub and shower them off if another generation of aphids hatched.

When I had an aphid infestation on my ornamental peppers (indoors), I pruned them back severely, then sprayed regularly (like twice a week) with insecticidal soap.

The interesting thing about aphids is that they bear live young, and are capable of bearing live young almost immediately. You could potentially have grandmother, mother, daughter and sisters all feeding on the plant at thesame time! Just keep after the aphids and eventually you'll win the battle.