moles and raised garden beds - Knowledgebase Question

Charbonneau, OR (Zone 8A)
Question by stevens6
I want to build a raised garden bed for a vegatable garden but I have many moles. Is there something I can line the bed with to prevent the moles from coming up in my garden and yet still allow for drainage and root growth?

0

Probably the most effective and least expensive way to keep moles from invading your raised beds is to line the bottom and sides with hardware cloth. You can purchase rolls of hardware cloth (with 3/8 to 1-inch holes) and simply unroll it on the bottom of the bed, then attach two overlapping layers (one for each side) and roll them up along the sides of the beds. Then fill your bed with soil and plant your veggies. The moles won't be able to to dig through the hardware cloth and your plants will be safe.