When to Move Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Lexington, KY
Question by csh1002
I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS , I AM REDOING A WHOLE YARD FRONT AND BACK,IT
IS IN TERRIBLE SHAPE,IT IS MY BROTHERS YARD AND HE IS AT AND AGE NOW WHERE HE
NEEDS IT TO BE LESS DEMANDING, I HAVE ALREADY STARTED TO MULCH AROUND
EVERYTHING, AFTER REMOVEING WEEDS, I PUT NEWSPAPER,SEVERAL LAYERSUNDER THE
MULCH,BUT I NEED INFO: AT TIMES ABOUT MOVEING PLANTS THAT ARE IN THE WRONGE
PLACE IS THERE A PLACE TO GET THIS INFO: QUICK,I AM FIGHTING TIME AND WEATHER.

0

It sounds like you have made a great start, mulching is really one of the best time savers in the garden. As far as moving plants, to some extent it depends what they are. If you are looking at shrubs usually the best time is late winter as soon as the soil can be dug, or in the fall. The reason is you are bound to lose some roots and the summer heat would then be very stressful on the plants. If you have no choice, move them now but take as much root as possible and replant immediately, if it is a deciduous shrub you should also cut it back somewhat to compensate for the root loss. Then you would need to keep it watered while it re-establishes this summer. Many perennials can be moved successfully now if you dig a large root ball, but again spring and fall are usually better. Late winter is also usually the best time to do a hard or renewal pruning on overgrown deciduous shrubs. Without knowing what you have, it is hard to tell you exactly what to do. YOur local county extension and/or professionally trained nurseryman may be able to help with advice. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"