Tomatoes on plants being eaten - Knowledgebase Question

Galveston, TX
Question by matijevicha
Rippening tomatoes on plants being eaten by some sort of bug - 1/4 to 1/2 eaten out. Only noticed when tomatoes were ripe & I picked to eat. I was told by friend it was black birds but I don't think so. What should I do to salvage the plants and what's left of the other unripe tomatoes? Thank you.

0

It sounds like it could be damage from snails or slugs, or from 4-legged critters such as raccoons, or even from birds. The only sure way to keep your tomatoes from being eaten is to cover the plants with birdnetting. You might set a few traps out for snails, while you're at it - just to cover all the bases. Best wishes with your tomatoes!