Pruning butterfly bush - Knowledgebase Question

Warren, Mi
Question by harrisonsue
I planted a Monrovia Petite Indigo Dwarf Butterfly bush (3.5 feet tall now)last year. It has just started to show leaves. I did not know it should be pruned back in the spring. Should I prun it back now or just wait until next year.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

0

Buddleia davidii, the Butterfly Bush, is a fast-growing shrub with dense, arching, spikelike clusters of flowers that butterflies like to visit. There are many varieties, but the care is the same; prune after bloom and remove some of the oldest wood down to within a few inches of the ground. In areas where winters are cold, soft wood may be killed by frost. If this happens, prune out the dead wood in the spring. You still have time to prune away the dead stems so the beauty of the new growth can shine.