Choosing Raspberry Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Graysville, PA
Question by fear269
December 25, 1997
How many and what types of raspberry plants do you suggest for 1/4 acre?

December 25, 1997

0

You are in USDA zone 6 (same as myself incidentally). Burpee offers 5 varieties of raspberry, all of which will thrive in zone 6. I would suggest either the everbearing variety "Goldie" or the standard variety "Nova". Burpee ships #1 bare root plants which should be spaced 3' apart in rows that are 6' apart. So, assuming you have a square 1/4 acre, (it was easier for me to do the math assuming you had a square plot of land 104' x 104') you would need approximately 595plants. You can purchase the plants from Burpee by calling 1-800-888-1447 or re-visiting the website.

It sounds from these numbers like you are planning a commercial operation. I suggest that, before you start, (and if you have not already done so) that you contact local agencies that advise small business start-ups. Also contact other local growers to see what varieties have grown well for them--I would do more research on varieties and marketing before you invest a lot of money! With those numbers, you should also look into bird netting!