Hawthorne - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, GA
Question by gcwelch789
I have Indian hawthornes planted in front of some yuletide camellia. I can't keep them alive. The first set just dropped its leaves and died. This set did not bloom this spring. The leaves are coming out, however, in one day individual branches will shrivel and die. I have seen signs of fungus (spots) and have treated with a fungiside but they are still not thriving. Do they not like mulch? Will cats using the ground as a litter box effect the plants? Any help will be appreciated.
G Welch

0

It doesn't sound as though your hawthorns are very happy in their present site. They require full sunshine and good air circulation all around to help them remain healthy. They won't bloom without lots of sunshine and will develop fungal diseases without enough sun. I'd move them to a better spot and mulch over the soil surface to help slow water evaporation. Unless you have a large number of cats using the site as a litter box, urine and feces shouldn't affect the health of your hawthorns. After replanting, be sure to water well once each week to help the roots become established. Best wishes with your hawthorn!