What Is A Cape Daisy? - Knowledgebase Question

IL
Question by Merrielyn
December 25, 1997
Last year I bought a basket filled with "cape daisies" and have no idea what they really are...(so I can find them again next year). They repeat bloomed all summer, and although I brought them in to overwinter they are not thriving. Would it bepossible to take cuttings now for next year?

December 25, 1997

0

Cape Daisies are a beautiful annual flower especially suited for hanging baskets. There are many varieties in several colors. They can be propagated by cuttings and I found a website for you that has quite a lot of information on Cape Daisy propagation, care requirements, etc. Try Sunscape at www.mccalif.com/html/plants/html/specialties.html
Here are some general guidelines for taking cuttings:

Use a well-drained, porous medium for starting your cuttings.

Select 5" or 6" cuttings and remove leaves along the bottom inch of the stem. Have your soil moist but not wet. With a pencil make a small hole in the soil to receive the cutting. A rooting hormone may be helpful.

Place the cutting in the hole, then cover the entire container with a plastic bag. Put 2 or 3 holes in the bag for ventilation. Use a stick to elevate the plastic
bag so that it does not touch cuttings and also to prevent
rain water from collecting and smashing cuttings.

Do not bother the cuttings for 6 to 8 weeks. After that time they should have rooted.