Star jasmine is dying - Knowledgebase Question

West Hollywood, CA
Question by Alabastur
I planted 4 star jasmine plants on two trellises that frame the opening to my garden 3 years ago. They covered the 7' trellises beautifully until last summer when the leaves on one of the trellis turned rust colored, then both of the plants died. The other trellis was doing great until last week when the leaves on one of the plants also started turning rust colored. I am afraid that I am going to lose them as well. What can I do to save them? Thank you.

0

Star jasmine are not susceptible to any particular diseases so I'd look at the soil drainage (or lack of) for clues. Your plants need to be watered regularly but if the soil remains soggy for lengths of time, the roots can rot and the tops of the plants will die. Try watering as usual and then waiting 3-4 days. Dig a hole near the roots of your plant; if the soil is moist 3" beneath the surface, it drains well enough; if it's dry, you didn't apply enough water; if it's soggy wet, the site doesn't drain fast enough.