red and purple in morning sun - Knowledgebase Question

rochester hills, mi
Question by ghim70
What shrub that has red to purple color will do good in partial sun?
The area gets sunlight in the morning until about 11am. Barberry Crimson Pygmy has a perfect color and size of what I'm looking for, but I was told it needs full sun all day. Is it ture? If it is, what are the best alternatives? Thank you.

0

It is true that the red barberries need full sun all day or for a bare minimum of six hours including the hour of noon. Without it they start to look greener and grow thin and sparse. The same is true of other purple-leafed plants such as the purple leaf sand cherry and purple smokebush -- both of which are also much larger plants. For just a few hours of gentle morning sun, I really can't think of a shrub that will do what you want. You might consider a purple foliage plant such as Perilla Magilla -- it would have to be replanted each year (or you could overwinter some tip cuttings) but it does have that jolt of purple. I'm sorry I can't think of anything better. Perhaps your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension would have some ideas.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Asperula"