Pests on my Astilbe plants. - Knowledgebase Question

Lafayette, IN
Question by auntyteddy
I recently planted an Astilbe called Astilbe japonica or 'rheinland' and it is attracting flies. What can I do?

0

Astilbes shouldn't attract flies, even when they're in bloom, because the flowers are so small and contain such a tiny bit of nectar. I suspect there's something else going on with your plant. Did you use manure as a soil amendment? Does the plant have aphids? If aphids are feeding, the exude a sticky substance called honeydew which is sweet enough to attract flies. Hose your plant off to rid it of aphids if they are present. If you used manure, cover it with potting soil to eliminate the attraction to flies. Best wishes with your garden!