plant information - Knowledgebase Question

Belle Rose, La
Question by bsboyd
My mother and I came across a beautiful glossy green plant and fell in love with it. There was only 1 so my mom got it. The only thing it had on the tag was Carnation of India. I cannot seem to find adequate information on this plant. Can you please send me all the information you can on it? Light, soil, fertilizer, etc...
Thank you so much.
Susan

0

Carnation of India, is also called Crepe Jasmine. The botanical name is Tabernaemontana Divaricata 'Flore Plena'. It is hardy to USDA zone 10. It grows in light shade to full shade and needs abundant water all year around. It's an evergreen shrub that can reach 6' in height and width. You can grow it as you would any jasmine; feed every 2-3 weeks with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer and give the plant a shower every few weeks to wash dust off the leaves and discourage spider mites. Enjoy your new plant!