Ants in Potted Rosemary Bush - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Nedra Tuller
New Orleans, LA
Question by nedra721
When transplanting my Rosemary Bush into a larger pot I saw ants in the soil and roots of the plants. How can I get rid of them and prevent this from happening again?

0

Nedra,

First of all, unless you are dealing with fire ants you may not really need to control them at all as they are not going to harm the plants. If you still want to get rid of them here are a couple of options. If you sink the plant into a larger container of water for a half hour or so, that will drown the ants or drive them out. Then allow it to drain completely as rosemary hates soggy soil conditions. Another option is to treat the soil with an insecticide containing pyrethrins. These are natural insecticides and break down quickly after application.