Eastern Redbud Tree Question - Knowledgebase Question

Kewadin, MI
Question by torchbound
Last spring, 2004, I purchased and planted an Eastern Redbud tree that was heavily laden with

0

Redbuds tend to develop dead stems and branches; the shrubby form is part of it's natural growth habit. You can prune away the dead branches without harming your redbud. They do take a while to flower, especially after being transplanted. The roots will need to become fully established so a wait of 2-3 years wouldn't shock me at all. You can help things along by fertilizing your redbud regularly. I would apply a layer of compost or composted cow manure about 1" thick (mulch style) at the base of the tree all the way out to the drip line. I would also try fertilizing with a "superphosphate", this is simply a fertilizer with a high phosphorous content such as a 5-20-10 (phosphorous is the second number).