exposure - Knowledgebase Question

temecula, ca
Question by smgift
Is it okay to plant a forest pansy redbud in full sun in inland riverside county, ie temecula. My nursery said it is okay and I wanted to make sure.

0

Cercis is rated hardy in your desert climate so your nursery is correct in recommending it. It may be a little late in the season to plant one in full sunshine right now, unless it's already situated in a sunny spot in the nursery. If so, the foliage has adapted to the strength of the sunshine and the tree should be able to make the transition to your garden without problem. If it is presently growing in a site that is shaded from hot afternoon sunshine, your redbud will go through much less stress if you keep it in the nursery pot in an area protected from afternoon sunshine for the remainder of the summer. You can plant it this fall or winter and it will establish itself before spring. When the leaves emerge in the spring, they should be able to tolerate full afternoon sunshine.

Best wishes with your new redbud!