Starting Geranium Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Cook, MN
Question by dodip
December 28, 1997
Hello and Thank You for your help. I would like to start my geranium seeds in the next few days but do not want to risk failure due to lack of knowledge on my part. I have only six seeds. Would it be better to start them in a seed starting soil or the little peat moss balls? I live in zone 3 and have very little time as it is to enjoy my gardens in bloom so would appreciate all the advice I can get.

December 28, 1997

0

I applaud your commitment! With an attitude like yours you are sure to succeed. One book that I believe belongs in the libraries of anyone and everyone from beginner to expert seed starter is "Parks Success With Seeds". I wouldn't start a seed without it. It has just about everything you could ever want to know about seeds: types, germination info., lighting, temperature, soil, pictures of seeds/seedlings, cross references, etc. This book is available from Park Seed. You can reach them at www.parkseed.com or Ph. # 1-800-845-3369. There is also a great website called "The Official Seed Starting Home Page" at www.chestnut-sw.com/seedhp.htm -- it has lots of valuable seed starting information. I just checked it and it has a pretty good bit of seed starting info specifically geared to geraniums. Regarding whether to start in seed starting soil (actually a soilless mix is what you would use) or peat pots, it is really a matter of choice. They each have benefits and drawbacks. One ofmy favorite seed starting mechanisms is a Seed-n-Start kit, Burpee sells a great one. It has all you will need, plastic cell containers, soil pellets, transparent tops for the trays, and trays. You can obtain the kit (and there are several "models" available) by calling Burpee at 1-800-888-1447 or revisiting the website.