Re : berries on Japenese Barberry - Knowledgebase Question

cheektowaga, NY
Question by puchshelly
June 13, 2005
Are the berries on the Rose Glow/Japanese Barberry poisonous or toxic? I have a 2 yr. old and need to know before I purchase them. Thank you.

Michelle


Image
Answer from NGA
June 13, 2005

0

According to the California Poison Control web site this plant is capable of causing mild toxicity such as stomach upset if eaten and can also cause skin irritation. The bushes are also thorny. Many common landscape and house plants can be toxic, so you will need to keep a close eye on your child and teach them not to eat plants -- except in the kitchen when they are served! Here is the web site if you have more plants to check.

http://www.calpoison.org/publi...

You should also keep the poison control number and your pediatrician's number handy at the phone just in case.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"