Photinia - Knowledgebase Question

Aston, Pa
Question by angelapanusk
I have a neighbor that appears to have a Photinia tree that has survived in zone 6. How long would it take a small shrub to be pruned to a tree? Mine is now in a one gallon pot. Which of your dealers in the area have Photinia trees? Would you recommend this over a Privet tree in our area?
Thank you!

0

Photinia is only considered reliably hardy in zone 7, however I too have seen a few apparently thriving in what is shown on the map to be zone 6 locations. I think microclimate is responsible for this. The plants I have seen are in very sheltered urban locations where it may actually be the equivalent of a zone 7. So whether or not you can grow one successfully will be a gamble. These plants grow several feet a year when they are well sited and well established. It will take some time for it to develop caliper and that overall tree-like look, maybe a decade. Privet grows at the same rate but most cultivars are more winter hardy. I hope this answers your question.