begonia care and info - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Maria, CA
Question by marnerich07
I received a begonia as a college graduation gift. I've never really had my own plant to care for all on my own.

Can you give me some tips and info?

Cheers!

0

There are two types of begonias that are commonly grown. If you have tuberous begonias, they will bloom all summer and into the fall. When the leaves begin to yellow and wilt, reduce watering. When the stems have fallen off the plant, lift the tuber, shake off any dirt, dry the tuber in the sun for about 3 days, and store in a cool, dry place such as a garage. In the spring little pink buds will appear and you can repot the tuber and place it outdoors. If you have regular bedding plant begonias, dig and transplant into pots, then put them in the sunniest window possible in your house or under grow lights. Pinch back the stems as they get leggy and the plant should flower into the winter for you. Reduce the watering and fertilizing to a minimum during the winter. Begonias can easily rot if overwatered this time of year.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"