replanting bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Luray, VA (Zone 6A)
Question by mountaingirl3
I recently moved to Luray, Va. into a home with an already established garden area. Quite a bit to be exact. This spring there were signs of Tulips,Daffodils and Hyacinths trying to bloom but never did. The green leaves showed up but never any color. Can I dig them up, and when, and replant in a different area?

0

Bulbs store energy for the following season?s flower display by converting energy from the sunshine through the foliage. If the leaves were cut from the plants instead of being allowed to age naturally and die, not enough energy would be stored in the bulbs which would affect the following year?s flower display. This may be what happened to your plants. Allow the foliage to die down naturally and then dig and move your bulbs. Early fall is an excellent time to move them to their new homes.